Healthy Snacks

Everyone loves to eat snacks, but usually we reach for potato chips, cookies, or candy. These foods are delicious, but they are not healthy. Obesity has become a problem in the United States, but we can help by making healthy choices when we eat. Today, I am going to describe three healthy snacks I like to make and eat. These foods are good and good for you!
Everyone knows fruits and vegetables are good for you, but they can be a little boring. The first healthy snack I want to tell you about is called "ants on a log". I know what you are thinking... "ew! who wants to eat ants?" One way to make healthy snacks more fun is to give them a silly name. For this recipe, you will need two stalks of celery, two tablespoons of peanut butter, and twenty raisins. First, make sure you wash the celery. Fruits and veggies grow in the dirt, so it is important to wash them when you get home from the supermarket. Next, spread the peanut butter into the hollow side of the celery. Now you have your log! Finally, place the raisins on top of the peanut butter to represent the ants. This recipe is tasty, simple, and healthy!

Another snack that is good and good for you is a parfait. For this snack, you need one cup of cut up fruit, half a cup of granola, and one cup of low-fat yogurt. This snack is great because you can choose your favorite fruits and your favorite flavor of yogurt. To make a parfait, pour yogurt into the bottom of a clear glass. Next, place a layer of cut up fruit on top. Then, sprinkle on some granola. Continue this pattern of layers until you get to the top of your glass.

One final healthy snack recipe you can make at home is frozen juice pops! Ice-pops are a perfect treat for hot days, but they usually have a lot of sugar. Instead, you can make them at home using your favorite juice. All you need for this recipe are plastic cups, popsicle sticks, and juice (I like to use lemonade or apple juice). Fill each cup halfway to the top with juice. Then, place the cups in the freezer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, take the cups out of the freezer. The pops should look slushy, but not totally frozen yet. Place one popsicle stick in each cup and put the cups back in the freezer for two hours. Once the pops are frozen, peel off the plastic cup and enjoy your healthy treat!


Vocabulary
snacks: small meals eaten between breakfast, lunch, and dinner
healthy: good for you
obesity: being overweight
describe: explain
recipe: a list of ingredients and the steps needed to make a dish
supermarket: a store that sells food; grocery store
parfait: a layered treat made with yogurt (pronounced par-fay)
pattern: a repeated design

Vocabulary Exercise
Read the sentences and fill in each blank with the correct vocabulary word.
1. I will need strawberry yogurt and cut up berries to create my ________.
2. When I do not understand a problem, I need my teacher to __________ the assignment again.
3. Fruits and vegetables are ________ foods that can be delicious, too!
4. I want to go to the __________ with my parents to pick out healthy snacks.
5. I have placed the fruits in a _________: apple, banana, orange, apple, banana, orange.
6. In this blog post, I described three ________ for healthy snacks.
7. _________ is a problem in America because people eat too many unhealthy foods.
8. Whenever I get hungry before dinner, my mom lets me eat ________.

Grammar Point: Run-On Sentences
A run-on sentence is a sentence that is too long. These sentences can usually be broken up into two separate sentences that are easier to read. Using punctuation correctly can help you to break up run-on sentences into two complete thoughts. You can use periods, question marks, exclamation marks, and commas to fix run-on sentences.

Grammar Assignment
Read the run-on sentences below. Figure out the best way to separate the sentences into two complete thoughts using punctuation.
1. I love to eat healthy snacks because they give me a lot of energy people should eat healthier throughout the day.
2. What is your favorite healthy snack can you describe the recipe to me?
3. Apples are a delicious fruit I like to eat mine with peanut butter my brother likes to eat his with cinnamon.

For more information on run-on sentences, follow this link!
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/runons.htm

Comments

  1. I love your blog! I love that you have a theme. I specifically enjoyed this post since it was on healthy snacking and I can sure use some help with that! You chose some good vocabulary words and I liked your grammar activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good advice!. I make a celery appetizer with cream cheese or light Alouette ( a cream-cheese type spread) because I don't eat peanut butter. The parfait looks great.

    You have all the right components in your blog. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Cake

Thanksgiving Feast