What is American Cuisine?

In my free time, I like to cook up a storm for my friends and family. I like to try cooking a variety of different types of food, but my family's favorite is American cuisine. Unlike the cuisine of other places, such as Italy, China, and Peru, American cuisine can be difficult to describe. Similar to our country, American food is like a melting pot. There are many dishes that can be called American, but some are especially notable. Some foods that scream "America" include hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and dumplings, barbecue, and apple pie.American food is often described as "comfort food", but the style of food changes depending on where in America you decide to eat!

Vocabulary:

Cook up a storm: to do a lot of cooking
Variety: many different types
Cuisine: a type of food
Describe: to give information about
Similar: almost the same as
Melting pot: when many people, ideas, or flavors blend together
Foods that scream "America": food that makes people think of America
Comfort food: food that makes you think of home

Vocabulary Exercise: Fill in the blanks with the correct word or phrase from the vocabulary list.

1. There was a ________ of vegetables at the store, I had trouble choosing just one.
2. Tomato and potato may sound ______, but they are actually very different. 
3. Can you please ________ how to make chicken soup?
4. My favorite type of food is Mexican ________.
5. The kitchen will smell good tonight because Grandma plans to __________ for the whole family. 
6. America is called a _________ because many different cultures have blended together in this country.
7. I always miss my mother's ________ when I am away from home for too long.

Grammar Point: An idiom is a word or phrase that means something different from what it says. We saw a few idioms in m blog post about American cuisine: cook up a storm, melting pot, foods that scream "America", comfort food. It is important to use context clues if you think something does not make sense, or ask a friend!
Grammar Assignment: Think of two more idioms you have heard in English and draw a picture of what they say AND a picture of what they mean. 

Check this link to learn more about idioms:
http://www.ef.edu/english-resources/english-idioms/





Comments

  1. This is a very rich first blog entry, Maggie. Well done! I like all the visuals and links. You have all the necessary components. I also like the way you have addressed idioms, such as the vivid "cook up a storm."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog entry made me hungry! I like your choice of vocabulary words and the exercise. Adding the link was a great idea as well as pictures for visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you included idioms in your paragraph and then addressed it in your grammar point. I also like how you used a simile to describe American cuisine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving Feast

Healthy Snacks

Halloween Treats